Portsalon Golf club was founded by Colonel B.J Barton in 1891. Colonel Barton established the Portsalon hotel and golf links and was very forward thinking in Portsalon becoming one of the founder member of the Golfing Union of Ireland, the oldest golf union in the world. The course was designed by Charles Thompson, the Portrush professional. The links quickly earned a reputation as one of the best around and attracted visitors from near and far.
1986 was a momentous year in the history of the club. This was the year that the club purchased the land on which the course is built.
Please click on the link above to view a selection of historic images of golf being played on the Portsalon links.
In 2000, a major redesign of the links was undertaken. Renowned architect, Pat Ruddy was tasked with upgrading the links to keep pace with the modern game. The course was lengthened considerable and nine completely new holes were added.